Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Liar Liar

"Repetition does not transform a lie into the truth." - Franklin Roosevelt
Little white lies, half-truths, fibs, distortion of the facts, conveying a false impression. These are just a few descriptions I came across when I did a Google search of the word Lie.
I think it's pretty sad how we try to lessen the severity of lying by creating "friendlier" definitions for it. But you know what? Call it what you want, a lie is still a lie. And yes, I do think lying is severe.
Why?
Oh, I'm so glad you asked.
To state the obvious, I'll put it into the form of a question; can you really trust someone who has just lied straight to your face?
If you answered yes, then either no one has ever lied to you (which is very unlikely) or you are lying to me (which is very likely).
Yep. Whether you want to admit it or not, once someone has lied to you, your ability to trust that person takes a complete nosedive. The relationship is immediately strained and suffers from uncertainty, suspicion and distrust. Even the strongest of relationships can be weakened and broken down from lying.
As a father, I am often reminding my kids of the importance of just telling the truth. I remind them that if they ever want to jeopardize my trust in them, if they ever want to lose certain freedoms and privileges, all they need to do is lie to me. I will tighten up the reigns and get in their business faster than Clark Kent can change into Superman. I'll always love them but they are fully aware of the strain a lie can put on our relationship.
But the sad thing is, lying is everywhere.
Take a look around and I'll bet you won't get through a single day without coming across a lie, either from you or from someone else.
Tell me if this sounds familiar; "It's the number one rated vehicle in its class."
Really? Because the other car commercial that just aired said the same thing.
Or how about this one; "The economy is at an all-time low. Few people are spending their money these days."
Is that right? Is that why I can't find a parking spot within 200 yards at the Mall?
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman."
Okay, that one was too easy but just to be fair there was also the infamous "Read my lips: no new taxes."
And here's a few more just for fun; (I dare you to tell me that you have never participated in any, if not all, of these)
 "Wear a hat or you'll catch a cold."
Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny (sorry, it's true. They really do not exist.)
Politicians without personal agendas.
And my favorite, Global Warming.
Now before you go and leave nasty little comments about how arrogant I am in pointing these things out, just remember that a lie does not become truth by repeating it over and over. I could say 2+2=9 as much as I want but the truth is 2+2=4.
Lying just makes things complicated. Why would anyone want the hassle of having to keep track of their lies? You create this elaborate piece of fiction and then before you know it you have to keep telling it over and over again just to keep from blowing your cover. The details keep getting more and more involved and before you know it, your alibi for when you were out having a beer with the guy’s turns into an episode of Three’s Company.
Isn’t it enough to just keep track of the events that actually happen in your life?
Here’s an idea; be honest.
It’s as simple as that. Be honest and tell the truth.
While you cannot control the honesty of others just take a little personal responsibility and you be honest. It’s not hard. Even in the dreadful “Does my butt look big?” situation, it’s still the best policy. Trust me on this; it is so much easier to keep track of the truth than it is to keep track of your lies.
And for those of you who would like to turn this into a Philosophical Debate, such as, “What is truth?” you’re reading the wrong Blog. This isn’t about comparing one person’s life experiences with another’s. This is about the stuff you learned in Kindergarten.
Telling the truth creates respect and trust. Notice, however, that I did not say it would make you popular.
While I believe that most people really do want the truth from others, they just don’t want the responsibility it brings. Case in point: “Does my butt look big?” If you answer with the truth and say yes, then they are faced with the fact that they need to get off of that big butt and exercise. However, if you lie to them and say no, then they get one more day of living in denial and avoiding the need to be responsible and lose some weight. In the long run, their poor habits and sedentary life could contribute to more than just a fat butt, leading them to a serious weight problem which will be extremely challenging to get under control, whereas had they heard the truth and acted on it as opposed to letting their feelings get hurt, they might have started an exercise program with lifelong benefits, not just limited to skinny jeans.
That might be an extreme example but I think you get my drift.
So, why do I take lying so seriously? For me trust is everything. I don’t want to have to second guess everything I am told by the people in my life and I don’t want the people in my life to have to second guess me.
Life is just too short for all that hassle.
Just remember what your Kindergarten Teacher told you; Honesty really is the best policy. And if you can surround yourself with others who feel the same way, you can bet on the fact that you will all be better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment