Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Small

Goals are seldom obtained quickly. In fact, the loftier the goal the longer it takes to reach it. Hard work and perseverance can take it's toll on a person, especially when it seems like you just aren't making any forward progress towards that big payoff .
Daily obligations and responsibilities seldom let up and our day to day affairs obstruct our long range vision. We loose sight of our goals, we get discouraged and before you know it, we've given up on another dream. When it comes down to it, those who are successful in obtaining their goals are usually the ones who have simply learned the fine art of patience.
But, for a generation steeped in instant gratification, patience is no longer a virtue. It is a hindrance.
"If I can't have it now, then forget it. I don't want it."
Does that bother you as much as it does me? It drives me friggin' nuts when I hear my kids talk like that. They hate it when I lecture but if they're going to say stuff like that in my presence, then they had better run for the door if they don't want another verbal spanking.
Patience is such a crucial element in obtaining goals, but this dissertation isn't so much about patience as it is persistence, which is, in a way, a part of patience. So go figure...
While patience is generally viewed as a quality that allows us to wait for something to occur, persistence tells us to keep doing something in order to make that something occur.
Persistence sees the target no matter how far away and says "Eh, I'm closer than I was yesterday."
It is that little voice inside that says, "My goal is obtainable and I will keep doing what I need to do, everyday, no matter what."
I like to think of it like this; Persistence values even the smallest of steps.
So long as you do something that moves you closer to your goals each and everyday, you will get there. Even if it takes you longer than you had hoped or anticipated, as long as you move forward you are going in the right direction. Something is better than nothing and small steps are better than no steps.
Small is something. And a lot of smalls eventually add up to a large.
So don't get too down on yourself if you're having a lot of small days. Just remember that they do contribute to the big picture.
I mean, consider South Beach in Miami Florida (bet you didn't know you were going to get geography lesson, did you?). It is made up of tons and tons of tiny grains of sand. Each grain of sand is about as big as the tip of a pin, but when you put it altogether, you get a beach that stretches nearly 2 miles.
I ask you; if your goal was to simply walk 2 miles, no matter how small your steps might be, as long as you move forward, you're going to finish that walk.
So take heart in the small accomplishments on the way to achieving your goals. Keep your eyes on the prize and move forward. No matter how small the steps are, take heart that you are not one of the casualties lying along the roadside in the Marathon of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment