Sunday, April 17, 2011

Get over yourself

Well, I blew it. In fact I blew it big time.
For all my preaching of personal responsibility, last night I went and threw my own beliefs and principals right out the door. Yep. I am ashamed to admit it but I over drank and became extremely drunk and belligerent.
To top it off, I became extremely sick at my hosts home and in my friends truck.
Now I ask you, how can I be such a hypocrite? I lecture on the need for everyone to take responsibility in all areas of their life, yet in one evening I threw it all away and failed to live by my own code of conduct and ethics. What do I do now?
Regardless of the fact that I was an absolute idiot last night, I need to get over it. Gracious as my friends were to forgive me of my actions I still carry a lot of guilt and shame. But what good is it doing me? Here's the deal; I am not condoning my behavior nor am I making excuses for it. I screwed up. Big time. But in the aftermath, despite my incredible hangover, I had a long conversation with God, my "Come to Jesus" moment if you will. I laid it all out, I shed my tears, I made my peace. I called my friends and asked for their forgiveness. They forgave me. I asked my wife for her forgiveness. She forgave me.
What to do now? I need to get over it.
If I carry this around it will prevent me from ever being able to get back on track and refocus on my goals. I have to realize that I am not perfect, and I need to learn from my stupidity. I also have to make sure that I don't take it so lightly that I repeat that stupidity.
Getting back on track quickly is the best thing anyone can do after screwing up. And remember, everyone screws up.
Allow yourself to forgive yourself. Get over it and get over yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment